History of Erica Primary
Founded by Miss Mary Anne van Wyk at 35 Irvine Street, Richmond Hill.
- Incorporated as part of the Grey Institute
- Recognised as a First-Class School for Girls.
- Erica Hall extended to include 52 and 54 Mackay Street for temporary classrooms.
- Erica is officially opened by Superintendent-General, Dr Muir.
- Erica School building in Richmond Hill officially opens on 4 November.
- Uniforms introduced for the first time
- School Motto established: FOR HONOUR, LOYALTY AND TRUTH.
Headmistress: Miss AH Wright
- Headmistress: Miss EC Gould
- Sport is started at Erica.
Erica is recognised as an English Medium School in April 1930
Headmistress: Miss J Green
Headmistress: Miss B Traill
- Headmistress: Miss DI Juby
- School houses created: Athlone (blue), Buxton (red) and Duncan (green).
First prefects appointed, three house captains and a head girl are chosen by the staff after a vote by the pupils.
First swimming gala held at St. George’s Park Swimming Baths
Headmistress: Miss J Tribe
School Song is written and composed by an Alexander Road High School music teacher, Mrs L Haus.
Introduction of Xhosa lessons.
- Relocates to the new building in Bayview Avenue, Mount Croix (previously occupied by Pearson High School).
- A brand-new swimming pool welcomes Erica to its new campus
Special teaching for the gifted child begins.
Pre-Primary opened for the first time.
100-year celebration and gymnastrada.
Computer lab opens and computer lessons begin
New facilities including a Music Auditorium and Classrooms added to the school building.
Erica opens its door to learners of all races.
Headmistress: Mrs JK Leurs
Principal: Mr LJ Blom
Principal Mr K McCrindle
New Grade 1 block added next to the Tennis courts
Additional Music Classrooms and Auditorium erected at the back of the school
Principal: Mrs B Coetzee
Going Green: Drilling of Borehole and addition of Solar Panels to the school infrastructure.